Chris Hopper is the layout and graphic designer for Burnaway, as well as for several other ttrpgs in the indie scene. We talk about working as a freelance layout designer, working within this community, tips for working with your designers, and making your games and layouts more accessible. I learned so much from Chris, and I know y’all will too!
This episode is actually going to be the first in a short series in which I chat with some of my own project team members. What does that mean? Well, some of you may remember that last year, I mentioned I am the project manager for a new indie ttrpg called Burnaway. The game is launching on Kickstarter on February 7th, and I wanted to introduce you all to some of the awesome people behind the scenes! Be sure to check out the show notes for a link to the pre-launch page on Kickstarter, and the Arnamantle website, where you can grab an interactive story primer to get an idea of the game’s setting.
Disclaimer: This post contains affiliate links. If you make a purchase, I may receive a commission at no extra cost to you.
- 00:00:00 Introduction, life updates
- 00:04:24 Chris Introduction
- 00:09:19 How Chris got into game design
- 00:13:36 How Chris got into freelance layout design
- 00:18:23 Chris’ typical ttrpg layout design process
- 00:27:45 What writers can do to help make layout design easier
- 00:31:35 Commons mistakes in ttrpg layout design
- 00:34:11 Making your layouts more accessible
- 00:39:53 What has been the most challenging part?
- 00:44:04 What has been the most rewarding part?
- 00:47:08 Upcoming Projects
- 00:49:06 Where can people find you?
- 00:50:10 Wrap-up
Show Affiliates / Some of Courtney's favorite things
FloDesk Easily create gorgeous emails. Get your 1st month free & 50% off for your first year.
Found Familiar Delicious coffee meets Dungeons & Dragons artwork. Use code lightheartadv for 10% off your order.
Friday Afternoon Tea Grab a cup of tea with blends based on your favorite nerdy series. Use lightheartadv for 10% off
Dice Envy creates beautiful dice in a variety of materials. Use lightheartadv for 10% off your order
- Buzzsprout is my fabulous podcast host! Try it for free & receive a $20 Amazon gift card if you sign up.
Thanks for dropping by! We would love to know who would like us to interview, so please drop a comment here on the blog, on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, or Discord to let us know who your favorite creators are! If you’d like access to more maps and content, including downloadable PDFs of our adventures, check out our Maps Patreon or Podcast Patreon. We’re able to do what we do because of all our amazing Patrons!
Are you aware of the power of words and how they can subtly infiltrate a game? Noordin Ali Kadir unearths this concealed beast in
Ready to up your game in the TTRPG space? Ever wondered how project management skills could change your trajectory as a creator? We dive
Today, we take an exclusive tour of board game development behind the scenes with the imaginative Kyle Rowan, Design Lead at Wyrd Games. Kyle