Okay, I have a fun story about how I discovered today’s guest. Back before we set up a Patreon for Lightheart Adventures, I was doing some research on what kinds of D&D and RPG Patreons were out there to get an idea of what we could possibly offer as our tiers. I was using all kinds of search terms to see what was out there and popular, so of course one of the terms was just D&D. One of my results was D&D Duet, and I opened up their page, read about what they did, watched their intro video and went THIS IS SO COOL. They create one shots for one DM and one Player. I found their blog, their Instagram, their Twitter, and promptly followed all of them and started bugging them on all the platforms. Because that’s how you make friends on the internet, right? Eventually I asked them if they’d like to be featured on a blog interview, and they said yes. I’ll include a link to that post in the show notes, but I am really happy to introduce you to Beth Ball, fantasy author, game designer, and one of the two masterminds of D&D Duet.
Basically, this episode is all about writing and publishing: for DM’s Guild, Drivethrurpg, their DnD Duet blog, and Beth’s series of novels and novellas. You’re going to learn some great tips for managing multiple writing projects, how to decide which platform to publish your games on, and some great resources for organizing your writing projects.
One quick order of business before we dive in: I’m super excited to let you know that we have another way you can support the show! Back in episode 6, I introduced you to Friday Elliott of Friday Afternoon Tea. We heard some wild stories and learned about her tea shop in Seattle and her unique method of designing tea blends. Well, I now have an affiliate code for her online tea shop! Go to Fridaytea.com and use code lightheartadv for 10% off your order, support one of my favorite people in the industry, and help support this show!
Alright, that’s enough from me–let’s go meet Beth!
- 00:00:00 Introduction
- 00:03:26 Beth Introduction
- 00:09:51 When did you start writing your own adventures?
- 00:10:08 Tell us about D&D Duet
- 00:12:04 What kind of posts are you creating for your blog?
- 00:14:12 How do you organize your time between all your writing projects?
- 00:17:39 Publishing on DM’s Guild vs Drivethrurpg
- 00:25:01 Advice for first time Writers
- 00:28:36 How are you getting traffic to your blog
- 00:29:36 Splitting up roles when you work with your spouse
- 00:32:40 What tips do you give new DMs
- 00:34:14 Tell us about your novels
- 00:35:53 What was your inspiration for the story and for self-publishing?
- 00:38:10 Process for self publishing novels
- 00:43:30 What has been the most challenging part?
- 00:47:56 What has been the most rewarding part?
- 00:49:50 Do you have any upcoming projects?
- 00:51:47 Where can people find you?
- 00:52:27 Wrap-up
Show Affiliate Links
Disclaimer: This post contains affiliate links. If you make a purchase, I may receive a commission at no extra cost to you.
- Friday Afternoon Tea
- Grab a cup of tea with blends based on your favorite nerdy series. Use lightheartadv for 10% off
- Dice Envy
Dice Envy creates beautiful dice in a variety of materials. Use lightheartadv for 10% off your order
- Found Familiar
Delicious coffee meets Dungeons & Dragons artwork. Use code lightheartadv for 10% off your order.
Thanks for dropping by! We would love to know who would like us to interview, so please drop a comment here on the blog, on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, or Discord to let us know who your favorite creators are! If you’d like access to more maps and content, including downloadable PDFs of our adventures, check out our Patreon. We’re able to do what we do because of all our amazing Patrons!
Disclaimer: This post contains affiliate links. If you make a purchase, I may receive a commission at no extra cost to you. Our guest
Disclaimer: This post contains affiliate links. If you make a purchase, I may receive a commission at no extra cost to you. Today’s guest
Disclaimer: This post contains affiliate links. If you make a purchase, I may receive a commission at no extra cost to you. T. Julian